Industrial Minerals – Improving Automotive Technology
Industrial minerals were formed in the earth’s crust many millions of years ago. Guided by the principles of sustainable development, the industrial minerals industry offers automotive manufacturers smart ways to both improve safety and safeguard the environment, whilst satisfying societal’s transportation needs.
Speciality minerals such as:
- Bentonite – for casting engines.
- Borates – acting as the safety trigger to inflate airbags.
- Calcium Carbonate – shortening the drying time of non-toxic paints.
- Diatomite – filtering oil and coolants used in machining and metal forming operations.
- Feldspar – contributing to safety glass in windscreens.
- Kaolin – moulding glass fibre bodywork.
- Lime – enabling the production of high-quality steel from iron ore.
- Plastic Clays – strengthening the rubber in engine hoses.
- Silica – cleaning exhaust gases.
- Talc – reducing shrink and warp in bumpers.
So whenever you’re behind the wheel, you will appreciate why we at the Industrial Minerals Association (IMA-Europe) are actively promoting these smart minerals, which are a driving force behind our daily lives.